Because impaling heads of the members of the king's court on a stick is not fashionable anymore, let's find more reasons to sing "Ah ca ira, ca ira.." on Bastille day:
1) Despite the criticism of France's political agenda towards Africa and African immigrants, France very quietly still donates the 2nd largest contribution (by far) to the Global Fund. 15% of the 1.786 billion donated in 2006 was from France and that's not counting its contribution through the European Commission. 55% of Global Fund donations goes to Africa, 60% to HIV/AIDS relief effort. As you can see on the chart below, japan is a distant 3rd.
With B. Kouchner, co-founder of "Medecins sans frontieres", at the ministry of foreign affairs, DSK probably as the director of IMF and Michel Kazatchkine as the director of the Global Fund, France is definitely present at the international development front, in a rather quiet but effective manner.
2) Benabar: "le diner": priceless !
3) Claude Francois dancing the twist: I still cannot believe those were his real legs moving like they were independent from his body :). You gotta love the 60's dancing trends..Truth is, I just wanted to write: " Les filles tu sais méfies-toi C'est pas ce que tu crois..."
4) Zidane's headers (no exception) 'nuff said....
5) Ines Sastre: 'nuff said (again) but just in case you forgot:
6) RESF: still fighting for the rights of every children (from all origins) even when it's in the back pages of the news.
7) Fabrice "the magician" Santoro: the dictionary should have a picture of him as a definition for "French Flair".
8) "coup de pied en coin" for corner kick: just kidding.
9) In random order: Gasquet's backhand, Leo, Mc Solar's "Caroline", Ratatouille (the movie), Les visiteurs....
10) Oh yes, almost forgot: That little thing called the "Declaration of Human Rights" (and "Le siecle des lumieres").