1) the most emailed article fromthe NYT was this piece on Federer. I agree with the article, we are very fortunate to have the chance to witness "greatness in motion" in Roger Federer: his skills has reached such levels that he is reinventing how the game of tennis is being played. We are even mor fortunate that he has got a rival of the quality of Nadal to challenge him to reach new heights. Sadly, Sampras was a bit lonely at the top because Agassi was riddled with inconsistency (made me like him even more).
2) Speaking of Agassi, he will retire after the US OPEN. This is the end of an awesome era in Tennis. Agassi played against Connors and Nadal, talk about bridging the generation gap ! Here is a great tribute to his contribution to tennis.
3) Fun game of US open (www) tennis if you are a tennis fan: The rule: one pick a day, cannot be reused during the tournament. The prize: T-shirts, sweaters and your 15 mins of fame.
4) We have a budding star in Malagasy tennis, Lofo (via Marc). I hope I did not jinx him by predicting a great pro career.
5) I remember watching Noah beat Wilander to win Roland Garros over and over when I was a kid. I cannot believe how crazy the french crowd went when he won. No chance of such reaction nowdays because 1) less passion 2) security will beat up anyone who goes on the court (cf the tragic Seles stabbing ).
6) Amazing Federer shots, just for the heck of it.